A Little Pencil

Friday, July 30, 2010

Rich Girl

Sometimes I play this game with myself. What would I do, how would I live if I was wealthy? I know that I'm not the only one who does this. I would guess that we all do. And if we don't maybe we should.

Like the majority of Americans, the last several years have been financially stressful for me. I have not had much of a discretionary income. I have felt very constrained by my finances. Like the rest of the world, I've been happy just to have my bills paid, forget about extra fun money.

And to relieve the stress I've sat at home wondering what I would do if I suddenly had more money than I would know what to do with. Oh, I have imagined grand plans for myself, mostly involving international travel. I would go live in France for a while and learn French. I would take flying lessons and become a pilot, just because I could. I would hire a maid and a cook. I've picked out a luxury car and a luxury lifestyle. I would set up trust funds and endow charities. I would, I would, I would. You get the picture. You probably have your own list of woulds.

But one day as I was going over my dream list of woulds I realized something important. Possessing these things would not make my life any better that it is right now. None of these things can make me happier or more content than I am already. I realized that I am already rich. Lately I have learned to make a habit of counting my blessings, of looking for the good in the midst of the difficult and in the process have discovered how blessed I am. For the first time in a long time I am content with my life and learning to be content with my life has increased the balance in my life bank account. My life isn't perfect, it isn't always easy, but it is good. All of my needs are met. I have a roof over my head. I never go to bed hungry. I have a job I enjoy (not easy to find by the way), and a closet full of clothes I love.

I am able to notice and appreciate the beauty that surrounds me every day. I enjoy a morning sunrise, the dew on the fields, neat little pinwheels of hay sitting in the pastures. I see the beauty in an afternoon rainstorm, and in my relationships. I am blessed with more than my fair share of good friends, the laughter and joy of family, sisters who encourage me and make me laugh when life is tough. For some reason I have a very large group of people who love me. I've heard it said that you are blessed if you have one or two people who you can call a good friend. I have much more than that, much more than I deserve. There is nothing that could be added to my life to make it any richer or fuller than it is already.

And even though I am driving around in a car with an air conditioner that doesn't work in the middle of a Texas summer I am still rich. Because I could be living through an African summer, walking miles to collect water from the nearest well. I live in a country where I don't have to worry about a bomb exploding near my house or gunfire claiming my loved ones in the streets. I live in a place where everything I need is readily available.

I may not be able to afford everything I want but I have more than I need. God has been good to me. I may not be wealthy in terms of money, but I am rich in the things that really matter. I am rich with things that money cannot buy. I am blessed. And so are you.

No comments:

Post a Comment