A Little Pencil

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Word of the Year

I'm not sure who's genius idea it was to substitute New Year's resolutions with a word for the year but I really love it. I have never made a New Year's resolution in my life, because let's face it; I'm not really going to follow through.

But the concept of choosing a word to meditate on for a year? That I can do! I adore words and think of them almost as living breathing entities. I love the way a well turned phrase can sound like art to my ears. Honestly, this practice of meditating on a word was something I was already doing anyway, just not on purpose. So, it definitely appeals to me to ad this practice to my life by conscious choice.

As you know from my last blog, I had been in a low place. I wasn't even sure about choosing a word for this year. I was feeling morose and lazy about it. But I gave it a little thought anyway. And wonder of wonders, I came up with my word for 2011.

PURPOSE.

I've done a short preliminary study on this word already, even though I plan to do a more in depth evaluation of this word and it's applications to my life.

Here are a couple of definitions of purpose: the reason something exists or is done, an intended or desired result, determination and resoluteness, practical result, effect or advantage. To set as an aim or intention, to resolve to do something.

I like the fact that this word is both a noun and a verb. I've been praying for most of my life that God will reveal His purpose for me. This is one of things that I grew discouraged about the last couple of months, because I still have no clue what the heck I'm supposed to be doing with my life and I would like to get on with it already!!. So part of my focus on the word purpose is to continue to seek God for an answer to this question. In fact, I intend to hound God about it this year. I'm going to harass Him about it until He answers. I don't think He will mind. He does say to ask and to seek. Well, I'm going to take Him up on that. Not only do I want to know my purpose, but I want to learn how I can fit into the purposes of God in my family and community. I want to fit myself into His plan not just for my life, but for the lives of others. I suppose that sounds like a tall order, but I have a year to practice on it.

I also am fascinated by the idea of purpose as a resolve (to do something). I want to be a person who is resolved, determined and resolute this year. I want to focus on the important things and be resolved that no matter what happens my vision will not waver. I want to be resolute, to stand firm. I want to be built on the Rock and come hell or high water I. Will. Not. Be. Moved. I am going to hold on to the promises of God like a dog with a bone. I want to be determined to choose God, to choose to believe God no matter what kind of storm is raging around me. To be resolute means to choose. It is a choice to stand strong, a choice to keep going forward toward your goal. One thing I have learned in the last year is the power of choice. I have learned that we ALWAYS have a choice and that when we make the right choices we empower ourselves and God to work on our behalf.

I also want to learn to live each day with purpose. Not just to have a life purpose, but to know what is God's purpose for me today? How am I spending my time, money, energy and is it being expended toward God's daily puposes. Or am I wasting the things God has given me?

Did you know that the Bible has 14 different words for purpose? There are 8 different Hebrew words in the Old Testament that define purpose and 6 Greek words in the New Testament. Did you know that one of the biblical definitions of purpose is pleasure, desire, delight, acceptable, delightsome, pleasant and willingly? I like that definition of purpose and want to learn more about it.

So it is out with the old (So long 2010!) and in with the new (Hello 2011). And it really does feel like a clean slate, a fresh start. I plan on taking advantage of this fresh start with purpose. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment