Dear Friend,
You. You who I have worried over for some time because of your chosen theology. We had a quasi-debate and I was thrilled because I thought perhaps I could set you straight. I knew that if I could explain the truth, you would see it and would be transformed. I want to say I'm sorry. I want to tell you that regardless if I spoke any truth, my pride and arrogance spoke louder. I want to tell you that no matter what you believe I love you. You should know that no theology is stronger or more transforming than love. Last night I prayed for truth for you and also for me.
You. You whose political opinions vary so drastically from mine. Sometimes I wonder how a friendship can be maintained with two people who are so passionately committed to opposing politics. I can't relate to your viewpoint. I don't understand it at all. In the heat of the debate, I sometimes forget you are a friend. I want to tell you that I'm sorry. I want to tell you that even though I don't understand your perspective, I respect your opinion and admire your passion. I hope you know I love you and that politics don't really matter in the Kingdom of Heaven between brothers and sisters. Love trumps politics. Always.
You. You who have found your passion. I am a bit envious in a good way. I am sorry to tell you that I don't understand what you are all excited about. In my scale of priorities it doesn't even rank. But that is unimportant, because you definitely rank with me. Even though I don't share your passion I want you to know that I support you 100%. You should know that I love you and your joy is mine. When I see you pursuing what God has called you to, it makes me happy to see you fulfilled.
You. You are one who struggles and is so miserable. You are the one who carries a dark cloud around and deposits rain on everyone who listens to you. I want to tell you that I understand misery and my heart breaks with yours. You should know that I have no idea what to say or how to help but I really want to. You refuse to let me pray for you, but I do anyway, because I know your heart has been too broken to carry faith. I don't judge you for it because love responds with compassion. With all my heart, I love you and I am here to help you with your load and to carry you when you faint under the weight of despair. Love bears all things, even another's misery. You are not alone.
You. You, the friend who broke my heart. You wounded me deeply, although I don't believe it was done on purpose. I'm sorry I had to set boundaries in my life which meant drawing a line between you and me. I finally had to cut the bonds of our friendship so that I could heal. What I perceived as your indifference, negligence, judgement, lack of grace and compassion kept the wound open and festering. I want to tell you that I think of you often and how much I miss you. I want to tell you that I forgive you and I hope one day the breach is repaired. You should know that although you are far from me you are near in my heart. I will always love you and think of you as friend.
You. You are the friend who doesn't share my beliefs at all. Sometimes I don't know how to talk to you. My thoughts war between just being your friend and trying to sell you on my God. I'm sorry that it is even a struggle. You should know I love you regardless of what you believe. I love you so much and I just want you to know my Jesus. I want you to experience what it is like to see your self reflected back even more beautiful in His eyes. I hunger for you to know what it means to live loved without fear and shame. Because you are. Loved. So very much
You. You are a soul friend. Oh how much I enjoy you and our long conversations and our silly conversations. You hear my heart without me saying a word. You should know I thank God every day for the blessing of our friendship. I look at you and see family and friend all in one. I want to tell you what a difference your presence makes in my life, like a big ripple in a little pond. I want to tell you that I love you. I want you to know that it doesn't matter where life takes us, whether near or far, short time or long, you go with me in my heart. Yes, I'm blessed to love you.
You. You. Always and only You.You who sought me out in the darkest filth pit. You who looked straight into a black heart and declared, "Mine". You repaid my disdain, disrespect and negligence with Your faithfulness. I introduced myself as defiant, unworthy and ugly yet You named me infinitely precious and loved. You took a gutter rat and transformed me into a daughter who bears the beauty of Your image. It is an incomprehensible fairy tale, the fairiest of them all. I still can scarcely believe that You have written me a love letter, penned in blood. And it begins, Dear friend.
Beautifully written, WOW
ReplyDeletegood job, a lot of deep thoughts and vision.
ReplyDelete