A Little Pencil

Friday, August 8, 2008

That to Which I Aspire

As I mentioned before I've been reading about Christian martyrs lately. It might sound a little strange, but I find it fascinating. Actually it has struck a chord deep within me. As I read these stories of those who have suffered all over the world in unthinkable ways, I almost want to say, "Me next, God". Don't get me wrong, the suffering part doesn't appeal to me but there is something so...incredible about each story that I want to be a part of. I want to be able to look evil and terror in the face as they did not only with peace, but also with joy. I would love, love to know my life has counted for something. It seems that you are never closer to Jesus then when you are suffering or when you encounter death. Suffering brings us closer to Him because He is with us. He never leaves us alone and I believe that He only holds us closer when we suffer and that He suffers with us, taking our pain upon Himself. Death puts us closest to God because it is the doorway to Heaven. The minute you leave this life you pass the boundary to the next. How wonderful.

Anyway, something about these stories inspires and challenges me but almost makes me yearn for the same opportunity. To love unreservedly. To praise God in dire circumstances. To be the face of Jesus to someone who hates everything I believe. To face death with joy. I decided to post some quotes, so maybe you can catch some of the power I've experienced in these stories.

Sufferings gladly borne for others convert more people than sermons -Therese of Lisieux

Jesus does not promise that when we bless our enemies and do good to them they will not despise us and persecute us. They certainly will.
But not even that can hurt us or overcome us, so long as we pray for them. For if we pray for them, we are taking their distress and poverty, guilt and perdition upon ourselves, and pleading to God for them.
Every insult they utter only serves to bind us more closely to God and them. Their persecution of us only serves to bring them nearer to reconciliation with God and to further the triumphs of love.
IT Is only when one sees the anger and wrath of God hanging like grim realities over the head of one's enemies that one can know something of what it means to love them and forgive them. -
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

A Communist officer told a Christian he was beating, "I am almighty, as you suppose your God to be. I can kill you." The Christian answered, "The power is all on my side. I can love you while you torture me to death."

Two Chinese Christians were led to torture and death. One quoted Jesus' words, "It is finished," in a whisper. His brother answered, "No, that is not what Jesus said when He suffered. He said, "It is accomplished."

My dear Jesus, my Saviour, is so deeply written in my heart, that I feel confident, that if my heart were to be cut open and chopped to pieces, the name of Jesus would be found written on every piece. -Ignatius

Afraid
E.H. Hamilton
Afraid? Of what?
To feel the spirit's glad release?
To pass from pain to perfect peace,
The strife and strain of life to cease?
Afraid - of that?
Afraid? Of what?
Afraid to see the Savior's face
To hear His welcome, and to trace
The glory gleam from wounds of grace?
Afraid - of that?
Afraid? Of what?
A flash, a crash, a pierced heart;
darkness, light, O Heaven's art!
A wound of His a counterpart!
Afraid - of that?
Afraid? Of what?
To do by death what life could not -
Baptize with blood a stony plot,
Till souls shall blossom from the spot?
Afraid - of that?

I will close with a quote I've already used in another blog and I can't remember where I read it, but I think it sums it up.

"We love our enemies because we are fighting for them, not against them."



No comments:

Post a Comment