I'm not sure what has happened to me over the years. I think I've become a bit of a Scrooge. Don't get me wrong I have always loved Christmas, I still do. But life has sucked some of the joy out of it in the last several years.
I find myself looking forward to it and then stressing out once it arrives. I no longer view Christmas through the eyes of a child, full of wonder, excitement and joy, but through the eyes of an adult who focuses on all the work that goes into the celebration.
Particularly this year, I found myself anxious and stressed about the gift giving. I've come to the point where I would rather not give gifts at all. When I was creating the requested gift list of what I want for Christmas I realized that although I could USE the things on my list and I would certainly like to HAVE them, I don't really NEED anything. I don't need anything. All my needs are met, maybe not extravagantly or abundantly, but I am blessed. Which is more than the majority of the world can say.
And then it really hit me. I have everything I need and I have everything that matters. I receive this gift of lacking nothing every single day.
Here is where I go all soft and mushy on you. When I ponder on the gifts God has placed in my life I always come back to you. To all of you. I look at the people He has surrounded me with and I know He loves me. Some times just thinking of all of your precious faces, your gift of friendship to me almost makes me weep. I have friends who are like family to me and family who are my close friends. Whether we talk once a day, once a month or every couple of years, I treasure my relationships with every one of you.
The older I get the more I realize how very rich I am. I may not have all the material possessions wealth buys, but I am learning to value the things in life that are priceless. You are God's gift to me every day, not just at Christmas.
And so this Christmas I just want to say thank you and I love you. The gift of your selves is enough to make me childlike with wonder and joy. You make my grown up Christmases exceed even those of my childhood memories. You are the wonder of the season.
No comments:
Post a Comment