There is something beautiful about light. I've noticed in recent years how much I really love watching how light can change and enhance something mundane into something sacredly beautiful.
In the last two days You sent snow to my home state. Home of my heart. And I've watched the light hit the snow and the ice coating the trees. I've watched how the light sparkles on the trees at mid day like a diamond necklace coating your creation. I've noticed how a time of day that usually occurs with little notice from me becomes an achingly gorgeous blue-gray twilight when a brilliant white coats everything in purity.
It occurs to me how much You love beautiful things. I must have inherited that from You. Although I usually settle for cheap beauty like a pair of shoes that catches my eye. But then I realize how much of my life carries Your artist touch that turns ordinary into extraordinary. Friends who are there through thick and thin, closer than a brother. Family who know me inside and out and still think I'm something special. A bouquet of wildflowers, a freshly mown field of hay, the way barren trees turn into black lace at sunset in the dark winter months, an unexpected smile. You have given me joy for even the small things. That light that creates the beauty in my life carries me through the dark of personal struggles. That light is my focal point, that light illuminates the little delights that You have hidden in plain view like my own personal treasure hunt.
I find it ironic that looking straight at a light with my natural eyes creates a sort of temporary blindness and yet looking at Light with my spiritual eyes cures the blindness of my heart.
It reminds me of the verse,
"The Heavens declare the glory of God and the firmament shows His handiwork. " Psalm 19:1 or even
Psalm 8:4-5 "What is man that You are mindful of him, and the son of man that You visit him? For you have made him a little lower than the angels, and you have crowned him with glory and honor."
I ponder these things and find myself lost in wonder. What is man? What am I? We are the jewel of Your creation, the crowning piece of all your artwork. It awes me that of all the beauy that You created You look at me and find me most beautiful, even when I see myself as the most ugly. And yet. You look through the lens of love, through the truth of an obsession of epic proportions. Your voice is truth and light. Your view of me as your best creation is the only one that matters. And just like us? (Or are we really just like You?)You put your best art on display and shine Your light on it, so that the rest of the world can see what You see.
It blows me away that you care enough to adorn even your smaller pieces of creation art with beauty. How much more can I expect You to lavish me with Your beauty. To encompass me with Your light. When I see Your smaller, everyday artwork clothed with grace I think how much You must love us. When I see myself through the eyes of Your heart, radiant and crowned with Your honor and glory? I know it.
No comments:
Post a Comment